Ferron City History
During the late 1860's or early 70's a government surveyor by the name of Augustus D. Ferron was sent under the homestead act to survey the area known as Castle Valley. The surveyor and his associates camped along the creek now know as Ferron Creek. As the tale goes, the men agreed to name the creek Ferron's Creek after the surveyor if he would submit to a "dunking" in it. He agreed to the "dunking" and the creek became known as Ferron's Creek. Ferron's Town was settled a few years later and eventually the "s" was dropped and the town and creek became known as "Ferron".
In November of 1877, three families from Ephraim responded to a call from the LDS Church to settle in Castle Valley. The journey began on November 15th and making their way over the rugged mountains they arrived at Ferron's creek some 21 days later. The new settlers found the land to be less than inviting with an abundance of prickly pears and sagebrush covering the blue slate hills. After scouting around the area for a more desirable place to call home they returned to the creek to build dugouts. Thanks to the hard work and dedication of a few settlers over a hundred years ago, Ferron now has a population of over 1,650 residents. Many changes have taken place over the years and although some decendants of the early settlers continue to make their living by farming, the main source of industry comes from the local power plant and coal mines. For those who chose to remain and make their homes here, Ferron is a place rich in history. Residents not only enjoy the convienence of living just minutes from the desert and the mountains, but also the simplicity of small town life.
"A Peach of a Place" A history of Ferron and Molen, written by Evelyn Huntsman and Roma Powell. The book contains not only the history of the early settlement of Ferron but individual histories of the families that throughout the years have made Ferron their home.